About Don Ranly: Resume
Don Ranly, Ph.D., School of Journalism
University of Missouri, 213 Lee Hills Hall
Columbia, MO 65211
- Home Address: 902 S. Glenwood Ave., Columbia, MO. 65203-2827
- Home Phone & Fax: 573-442-1153
- Work Phone: 573-882-7059
- Work fax: 573-884-5293
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Academic Title: Professor Emeritus
- Research and Teaching Interests: Philosophy of journalism, ethics, role of a free press in a free society; general semantics; magazine writing, magazine editing, magazine publishing; corporate and association communications; newsletters.
- University of Missouri-Columbia, 1976, Ph.D., Journalism
- New York University, eight weeks, summer 1969, certificate, film, radio and TV
- Marquette University, 1967, M.A., speech
- Marquette University, 1966, M.A., journalism
- University of Detroit, 1962-1963, education, psychology
- St. Charles Seminary (OH), 1958-1962, theology
- University of Dayton, 1958, B.A., philosophy
- St. Joseph's College (IN), 1953-1955
- Editor of "Faculty Forum," publication of the Faculty Council of the University of Missouri-Columbia, 1996-1998.
- Editor of "Vibrations," the Sunday magazine of The Columbia Missourian, 1974-1981.
- Managing Editor of "Philosophy Today," 1968-1973.
- Roving Editor for "Schema XIII," 1972.
- Director/producer of television programs at PBS station, WCAE-TV, St. John, IN, 1969-1973.
- Directed and sometimes hosted weekly "Calumetrics – The Measure of Man in the Calumet Region" and an occasional one-hour special.
- Last two years directed weekly half-hour program, "OLE," a program in Spanish.
- Hosted weekly 45-minute interview radio program for two years, WCSM, AM/FM, Celina, OH, 1967-1969.
- Editorial Manager of the Messenger Press, Celina, OH, 1967-1969.
- Wrote a weekly column for "The Daily Standard," daily newspaper, Celina, OH, 1968-1975, entitled, "The Total Community," dealing with current social, religious and political questions. Column also appeared for several years in the Coldwater (OH) "Chronicle," and in the Minster (OH) "Post."
- Reporter for "The Catholic Herald Citizen" (weekly, circ. 180,000) Milwaukee, WI, 1966-1967.
- 1982, Professor
- 1981, Doctoral Faculty
- 1979, Tenured
- 1976, Associate Professor; Graduate Faculty
- 1974-1976, Instructor
- 1973-1974, Graduate Instructor
- Acting Associate Dean of the School of Journalism for two semesters, fall 1983, winter 1984.
- Developmental Leave with Towers, Perrin, Forster & Crosby in New York City, winter semester, Jan. 15 to May 15, 1983.
- Head of Magazine Sequence, 1976–2004
- Calumet College (IN)
- 1973, Associate Professor, Tenured
- 1969-1972, Assistant Professor
- St. Charles Seminary
- 1967-1969, Instructor
- Publication Editing, Dubuque, Iowa: Kendall/Hunt Publishing Company, 1998. Plus, Instructor's Manual.
- The Principles of American Journalism: An Introduction. Editor of book of readings. Author of Chapter 1, Journalism: The What and the Why. Dubuque, Iowa: Kendall/Hunt Publishing Company, 1995.
Publications: Book Chapters
- "Putting it in writing – fast!" Organization Communications, San Francisco, International Association of Business Communications, 1999. (Chapter complete)
- "There's a Market for Service Articles" in The Writer's Handbook, edited by Sylvia K. Burack, Boston: The Writer, Inc., 1993.
- "Specialized Writing/Organization Publications," "Grammar: Write It Right," "Words and What They Do to People," "General Semantics and the Writer", "Service Journalism," "Opinion and Persuasive Writing," "How to Get Your Article Published," "Epilogue: Have Fun," in Beyond the Inverted Pyramid, The Missouri Group, New York: St. Martin's Press, 1993. (This book is a complete revision and expansion of The Writing Book, The Missouri Group, Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice-Hall, Inc. 1984.)
- "Speeches, Press Conferences, Meetings,", "Quotations and Attribution,", "Handouts," "Follows,", "Broadcast News Writing", "Ethics" in News Reporting and Writing by The Missouri Group, New York: St. Martin's Press, 6th edition, 1998. (Also, six parts to the Instructor's Manual for the book.)
- Six chapters (to accompany chapters listed above): Workbook for News Reporting and Writing by The Missouri Group, St. Martin's Press, 4th edition, 1996.
Scholarly (refereed) Articles
- "How Organization Editors Regard Their Jobs and Their Profession." Journalism Quarterly, Vol. 66, No. 4, Winter 1989, pp. 949-953.
- "A Look at Editors, Content and Future of the Sunday Newspaper Magazine," Journalism Quarterly, Vol. 58, No. 2, (Summer 1981), pp. 279-285.
- "How Religion Editors of Newspapers View Their Jobs and Religion," Journalism Quarterly, Vol. 56, No. 4 (Winter 1979), pp. 844-9.
- "Checklist for a successful interview," cca News, November/ December, 1997, pp. 1-2.
- Five entries: National Review, The Nation, Christianity Today, Christianity and Crisis, Dorothy Day, for The Encyclopedia of Political Communication, by Guido Stemple.
- "Special Report: CCM's Wave of the Current: Corporate Intranet Usage," ccm Communicator, Vol. 18, No. 8, Sept. 1997, pp. 1-5 (with Michelle Keller).
- "Refrigerator Journalism," pr reporter, tips & tactics (supplement) Vol. 35, No. 4, April 14, 1997.
- "Getting Help for the 21st Century," Magazine Matter, newsletter of the Magazine Division of the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication Fall, 1996, pp. 4-6.
- "A Needed Voice," ccm Communicator, newsletter of the Council of Communication Management, Vol. 13, No. 8. Sept. 1996, pp. 1, 10.
- "Write it right," "Companyspeak" column, Whirlpool Management Journal, August/September 1994, p. 42.
- "How travel editors view their job and the profession." Press Women, Vol. 56, No. 6, December 1993, pp. 13-16.
- "There's a Market for Service Articles," The Writer, June 1992, pp. 18-21.
- "The apostrophe has little chance against Madison Avenue slogans." Editors' Forum, Vol. 11, No. 6 (June 1990), p. 8.
- "Cover page teaser blurbs lure readers to inside pages," Editors' Forum, Vol. 10, No. 9 (October 1989), pp. 4-5.
- "Creative cover contents draws craving readership." Editors' Forum, Vol. 10, No. 8 (September 1989), pp. 4-5.
- "What's on the menu? Part II Contents pages help guide readers into publications," Editors' Forum, Vol. 10, No. 2 (February 1989), pp. 4-5.
- "Table of contents a must for publications," Editors' Forum, Vol. 9, No. 8 (September 1988), p.4.
- "Stylebooks! Take a close look at your audience, then decide on what style is going to be best suited for them," Editors' Forum, Vol. 9, No. 8 (September 1988), p. 10.
- "Effective Nonfiction Writing – Seven C's Plus One," The Writer, January 1987, pp. 19-21, 44.
- "Don't Keep It a Secret," Editors' Workshop Newsletter, January 1987.
- "How to Write Effective Titles," Ragan Report, May 19, 1986.
- "Anybody Got a Title?" Ragan Report,, April 21, 1986.
- "Who's Reading This Stuff?" Ragan Report,, March 17, 1986.
- "Media Preference Study" – individual reports for:
- Aluminum Company of America
- American Institute of Architects
- Atlantic Richfield Company
- Canadian National Railways
- Central Telephone Company
- Georgia Power Company
- Inland Steel Company
- The Procter & Gamble Company
- Research and interview done on locations with executives, communicators and two focus groups of employees by Don Ranly. Final writing by Karn Rosenberg and staff at Towers, Perrin, Forster & Crosby. The project was entirely the conception of Don Ranly.
- "Use of Media: A Balancing Act – Media Preference Study," New York: Towers, Perrin, Forster & Crosby, May 1984. (Research by Don Ranly, writing help from Karn Rosenberg) "Media Preference Study – It's a balancing act,"
- Communications and Management, March-April, 1984. (Research by Don Ranly, final writing, Karn Rosenberg)
- "The Nature of the American News System," Communications in a Changing World, Vol. 1, Brazilian Journalists Seminar, Washington, D.C.: The Media Institute, The Transnational Communication Center, March 1983, pp. 95-105.
- "Print Media: Change and Stabilities in the 80s." Co-author, Steve Jameson. Published by the Research Services Department. Central Support Group, Church Services and Materials Division, Sunday School Board of the Southern Baptist Convention, Nashville, TN, Sept. 15, 1980, 77 pages.
- "Magazines," in Communications 1990, A Report of the Future Committee, School of Journalism, University of Missouri-Columbia, 1980, pp. 27-39. Chairman of the committee that produced the report. Wide distribution; cited in numerous publications, including those of the American Newspaper Publishers Association, The Society of Professional Journalists, the Association for Education in Journalism, the International Association of Business Communicators, etc.
- "Some tips for newsletter editors," PP of A today, May/June 1978. (Reprinted in The Navigator, Fall, 1978)
- "Action For Children's Television," Freedom of Information Center Report No. 364, Dec. 1976. (Drawn from doctoral dissertation)
- "NCCB – A Media Challenger," Freedom of Information Center Report N. 362, Nov. 1976. (Drawn from doctoral dissertation, "The Challengers: Social Pressures on the Press – 1965-1975")
- "Electronic Coverage of Congress," Freedom of Information Center Report No. 334, Feb. 1975.
Reviews and Commentaries
- Book Review: "Your Writing Can Survive Without This Book," Survival Writing: Staying Alive on Paper, by Stephen Gladis, Kendall/Hunt Publishing Co., 1986. Published in Association Management, September 1986, p. 91.
- Regular reviewer of manuscript proposals for books in the mass media, writing, magazine areas.
Courses Taught at the University of Missouri School of Journalism
- Undergraduate Newswriting (105)
- Graduate Newswriting and Editing (104)
- Reporting (306)
- Public Affairs Reporting (315)
- Magazine Article Writing (361)
- Magazine Editing (363)
- Advanced Magazine Writing and Editing (365)
- Mass Media and Society (200)
- Mass Media Seminar (401)
- General Semantics in Journalism (345)
- Philosophy of Journalism (403)
- Literature of Journalism (428)
- Magazine Publishing (368)
- Intermediate Writing Service Journalism (360)
- Advanced Writing (361)
- Developed the current J-363 Magazine Editing class, wrote text for it. Added another hour of lecture, added one-hour RSD in addition to the two-hour labs.
- Developed J-200 Principles of American Journalism into a writing-intensive class with RSD sections, with most GTAs paid by the writing program. Changed the course from Mass Media & Society, changed to a three-hour course, taught now to first-semester sophomores. Edited book of readings for the course published by Ginn Press.
- Developed J-345 General Semantics in Journalism from a two-hour course to a three-hour course. Also got it numbered 345/445 for graduate credit.
- William T. Kemper Fellow for Excellence in Teaching, 2003.
- Elected a Fellow of the International Association of Business Communicators, 2001.
- Golden Chalk Award for outstanding service in the training and mentoring of the professional students in his charge, 1998.
- Nominated by the Policy Committee of the School of Journalism for the Byler Distinguished Professor Award, 1996,1997.
- O.O. McIntyre Distinguished Professor of Journalism, 1995-1996.
- University of Missouri Faculty/Alumni Award, 1995
- Nominated by the Policy Committee of the School of Journalism for Distinguished Teaching Professorship, 1995.
- Nominated by the Policy Committee of the School of Journalism for the Presidential Award for Outstanding Teaching, 1993 and 1994.
- Kappa Tau Alpha, journalism scholarship society, 1965
- Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communications
- International Society for General Semantics
- International Association of Business Communicators
- See: Biography
Service to the Profession: Judging Competitions
- Atwater Best Writing Award, 1998.
- Associated Church Press, service journalism category, 1998.
- City and Regional Magazine Association, excellence category for best magazines, 1998.
- Atwater Best Writing Award, 1997.
- Associated Church Press, most reader-accessible category, 1997.
- City and Regional Magazine Association, best writing and opinion categories, 1997.
- Evangelical Press Association, personality category, 1997.
- American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials' media skills contest, 1996.
- United Church Press, Service Journalism category, 1996.
- College Sports Information Directors, 1996.
- Advanstar Publications, all categories, 1995.
- Missouri Scholastic Press Association, best multi- cultural piece, several divisions, 1995.
- United Group Communications, all categories, 1995.
- Evangelical Press Association, general periodical category, 1995.
- Associated Church Press, service journalism category, 1995.
- National Association of Agricultural Journalists, columns and analysis category, 1995.
- Evangelical Press Association, coordinated judging, judged several categories, 1992.
- Associated Church Press annual awards, coordinated judging, judged several categories, 1991.
- Society of American Travel Writers, Lowell Thomas Travel Journalism Awards, coordinated the judging, judged several categories, 1984-1990.
- Agricultural Editors Association, several categories, 1990.
- Lee Newspapers, all categories, 1988.
- Magazine investigative stories, Investigative Reporters and Editors, 1980, 1981.
- Features, Communication Section of the American Society of Association Executives, 1980.
- Features, Donrey Media Group, 1978, 1979.
- Magazines, American Association of Conservation Information, 1978.
- Newsletters, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, 1978, 1979.
- Editorial achievement, Professional Photographers of America, Inc., 1978, 1979, 1980.
- Annual awards, the Associated Church Press, 1978 (presented critiques at its national convention, St. Louis, April 19, 1978).
- American Business Press Neal awards, New York City, 1978, 1979, 1982.
- Southwestern Journalism Congress contests, 1977, 1978.
- Magazine Business Writing, Inland Natural Gas Association, 1977, 1981.
- Newspaper lifestyle sections, Penney-Missouri awards, 1976, 1980.
- Magazines, Penney-Missouri awards, 1975, 1976, 1977.
- Features, Association of Area Business Publications, 1980, 1981.
- Magapapers, Southwestern Bell, 1979, 1980, 1981.
Doctoral and Master's Committees: (Doctoral Committee Chair)
- Linda Foster Benedict, Myths Versus Reality: Coverage of Rape in Women's Magazines 1960-1990, 1994.
- Merlin Mann, Journalism Interviewing: Evaluation of Interview Effectiveness by Interviewers and Respondents, 1991.
- Gail Baker-Woods, Journalism Self-Efficacy: A Comparative Analysis of Minority and Non-Minority Students at the University of Missouri, 1991.
- Paul Grosswiler, The Shifting Sensorium: A Q- Methodology and Critical Theory Exploration of Marshall McLuhan's Visual and Acoustic Typologies in Media Aesthetics and Ideology, 1990.
- Jeanne Abbott, Model For Excellence in the Small Daily Newspapers, 1988.
- Jim Pinson, Objective Journalism and Ayn Rand's Philosophy of Journalism, 1996.
Doctoral Committees (Member of the committee)
- Neal Ralston (current).
- Steven D. Koski, Looking for Jazz Journalism in Missouri Dailies of the 1920's, 1993.
- Shirley Staples Carter, A Content Analysis of Predominant Values Manifest in Black Magazine Advertisements During 1965, 1975 and 1985, 1984.
- Samir Afif Husni, Success and Failure of New Consumer Magazines in the United States, 1983.
- William James Willis III, Leadership in the Newsroom: The Editor As a People Manager, 1981.
- William A. Mulligan, Journalism Revolution in China, 1981.
- Michael Elliot Abrams, Religious Broadcasting: A Q-Methodological Study of Elderly Audience, 1981.
- Erwin Thomas, The Beginnings of Broadcasting in the West Indies, 1920-1949, 1978.
- Ronald Peck, Magazine Audience Attitude and Readership Behavior: A Q-Methodological Study, 1977.
Master's Thesis Committees (Chair of the Committee)
- Steven Quinn, Examining a Writer's Use of Point of View, 1998.
- Michelle Keller, Corporate Use of the Intranet, 1997.
- Steven Kahn, Deconstructionism and Objectivity, 1996.
- Martin Oetting, A Content Analysis of the Automotive Enthusiast Magazines Correlating Advertising and Editorial, 1992.
- Kristie Northington, Advisers' Assessment of Hazelwood v. Kuhlmeier's Impact on the Freedom of College Newspapers, 1989.
- Carol Gorski Buckels, Sara Lockwood Williams: The Early Years, 1989.
- James F. Muench, The Ethics of Journalists in Best-Sellers: 1960-87, 1988.
- Hostetler, Donald, The Film Criticism of John Simon, 1987.
- Jeffrey B. Rutenbeck, American Journalism: An Institutional Perspective, 1986.
- Angela K. Sneller, A Look at Magazine Editors: the Effect of Initiating Structure on Employee Performance and Satisfaction, 1984.
- Dean Nelson, Akwesasne Notes: Journalism for Native People, 1984.
- Beth Chapman, Paid-Subscription Newsletters: The Print Medium of the Times, 1984.
- Sarah Thompson, Area and Regional Business Publications, 1983.
- Patricia Smith, Prairie Sentinel: Profile of a Specialized Magazine, 1982.
- Clifford Froelich, History of "Film Comment," 1982.
- Steven A. Jameson, Choosing and Using Print, 1982.
- Joseph C. Allen, The Relationship of Communications to the Success of Political Action Committee Fund-Raising, 1982.
- Debra Adelstein, City and Regional Magazines, 1982.
- Robert Schwaller, Missouri Life: Death of a Regional Magazine, 1981.
- Janice Cara Ryan Hall, Attitudes of Army Females toward a Magazine for Career Army Women, 1980.
- Ellen S. Rosenberg, The Jewish Press, 1979.
- Alexander Mackie, III, Celebrities and the Media: A History of the Relationship From 1910-1979, 1979.
- Judy Larwill, A Survey of Methods Used to Distribute Internal Publications, 1979.
- Charles Martin, Earl English and Journalism Education, 1978.
- Directed more than 50 Plan B Master's Projects; served on more than 60 Plan B Master's Committees.
School Committees Served on
- Curriculum 1976-1992 (chaired at least five times)
- Graduate Admissions
- Undergraduate Admissions
- Department tenure
- School tenure
- Chair of New Editorial Advisory Committee
- Chair of School's Communications Futures Committee
- Chaired, served on numerous search committees
- Doctoral Faculty (1985-present)
University Committees Served on
- Campus Faculty Committee on Priorities (1978)
- Transfer Review Committee (1985)
- Admissions Review Committee (1985)
- Alternate delegate to the Faculty Council (1980)
- Chancellor's Emissary (1979-82)
- Original Campus Writing Board (set up program for Writing Across the Curriculum)
- Admissions Board of College of General Studies
- On-Line Registration Committee
- Tenure Review Committee
- Faculty Council, Fall 1995-1998
- Executive Committee, Faculty Council, Winter 1996-1998
- Editor of "Faculty Forum," Fall 1996-1998
- InterCampus Faculty Council, Fall 1996-1998
Pertinent Work Experience (prior to coming to MU)
Articles published in:
- "The Catholic Herald Citizen" (Milwaukee)
- "The Catholic Messenger" (national weekly, Davenport, IA)
- "The National Catholic Reporter" (national weekly)
- "Ave Maria" (national weekly)
- "The St. Anthony Messenger" (monthly magazine)
- "Emmanuel" (monthly magazine)
- "The Catholic Journalist (magazine of the Catholic Press Assoc.)
- "Schema XIII" (monthly magazine)
- "The Catholic Digest" (monthly magazine)
- "The Precious Blood Messenger" (monthly magazine)
- "The Daily Standard" (Celina, OH)
- "The Mercer County Chronicle" (Coldwater, OH)
- "The Minster Post" (Minster, OH)
- The National Catholic News Service
- The Religious News Service
Booklet: "Vigil for Unity, The Story of Fr. Arthur Kreinheder, C.S.C., Lutheran Monk," Pio Decimo Press, St. Louis, MO, 1964.
Book: A Time to Dance – The Mike Cullen Story, The Messenger Press, Celina, OH, 1972.
Attended annual national conventions of the Catholic Press Association from 1964 through 1973. Several were held co-jointly with the Associated Church Press.