"I just wanted to thank you for the absolutely outstanding session you conducted with our team. I've already had several proposals from team members of different ways to implement changes in how we operate. I honestly can't think of a better session to get our team back on track!"
– Kiersten McCarty, Osborn & Barr Communications
"I've heard lots of good feedback about the session. I'm even happier to report that several people have asked me NOT to review something they'd sent to me earlier in the week - they want a chance to edit based on what they learned from you. To me, the sign of a great session is when people start practicing the techniques immediately. Our group certainly is."
Lorrie Hecker, American Standard
"I really enjoyed your session at the CoSIDA convention in San Diego. As a journalism major and daily writer/editor of news releases, your session was a great refresher for me. I only wish you had been one of my teachers when I was a student at Penn State."
Cathy Bongiovi, University of Virginia
"Your presentation was downright inspiring. It was a privilege to moderate. I'm going to start sending you some of our newsletters. I think you'll find them worthy of your refrigerator."
Your presentation was better than sitting by the pool! Wish we had you at Yale."
Steven A. Conn, Yale University
- "Don Ranly was an amazing speaker - provided great ideas and was entertaining as well. I thoroughly enjoyed it! "
- "Don Ranly was a great presenter and provided relevant and meaningful information. "
- "Don was a great personality and good presenter. "
- "Don Ranly is just so passionate about good writing; he has great examples and advice. Love him! "
- "Don Ranly gave an informative and entertaining presentation, given his timeframe. LOVE this man!!!"
- "Don Ranly is outstanding, all information he provided was fantastic and really useful - gave us something to take back and use at the office."
- "Don Ranly is fabulous - both as a hard-skills editing coach and for discussions on the more artful feature article. His sessions complemented John and Ann's keynote sessions very well."
- "I really enjoyed Don Ranly. He is very passionate about his line of work and he actually gets you interested in the editing process of materials!"
- "Don is a class act all the way. He has a pleasant voice, an easy, gentlemanly manner and a passion for his topic. I would listen to him speak anytime. He is a credit to your conference."
- "Don Ranly's a gem. He has such a pleasant yet purposeful and pointed approach. Loved his enthusiasm for good writing and his delivery. For my money, the best presentation of the lot."
– Comments from an IABC Business Writing Seminar in Toronto, Oct. 5 & 6, 2007
– Comments from IABC international convention evaluation forms
"I wanted to thank YOU for your great presentations. Your
name has popped up many times on the general survey forms as the most beneficial
part of the conference. Kudos to you!"
– Brad Quarberg, CASE V
"I just wanted to thank you for the absolutely outstanding
session you conducted with our team. I already had several proposals from
team members of different ways to implement changes in how we operate. I
honestly can't think of a better session to get our team on track."
– Kiersten McCarty, Osborn & Barr Communications
"Today's seminar was excellent. Someone suggested you
create a seminar that focuses on trade publications. I agree. You'll find
receptive – even hungry – audiences."
– Bill Bucy, Staff IndustryAnalysts
"You wowed the audience again at our Business Writing Conference. Some audience members offered comments on your presentation:
- 'Don Ranly was loads of fun and full of wisdom.'"
- 'Ranly – a breath of fresh air. Great!'"
- 'All the speakers were wonderful! Don Ranly was especially great, and obviously one of the "greats" in this business.'"
– Chris Grossgart, IABC
"On behalf of the MMPA, I'd like to thank you for offering
such a well-received seminar last week. I have heard nothing but rave reviews!"
– Cindy Christian Rogers, Minnesota Magazine and Publication Association
"Wow. What a nice write up. And all of the wonderful
things people have to say about you and your work … fantastic! I
could easily hear the echoes of my own experiences in their words, and it
was great fun reading about your exploits! I loved your courses. In my experience,
you are unrivalled as an instructor. I tend to "rate" professors
by the degree to which they challenged my thinking and challenged me to enhance
my skills as a writer, presenter, speaker, etc. You are in a league of your
own by that standard, and you added one other dimension no professor I had
even though of addressing – you made me a better listener."
– Jeff Brooks, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Florida State University
"Thank you for the refrigerator
journalism class (May 25, 2005). In my first days back at work I've been
planning assaults on refrigerators throughout Arizona. Your class changed
the way I see journalism and my readers will be better served. Thanks."
– J.D. Long-García, Managing Editor, The Catholic Sun
"Thank you for all your wise
words of experience and guidance that you presented in such a entertaining
fashion. Your presentations were the highlight of the convention for me.
Thank you for making the time to enlighten us."
– Betsy Newport, Media Specialist, Office of Billiken Media Relations, St. Louis University
"Thanks again for taking the
time to meet with us at the CoSIDA workshop. Your seminars provide valuable
insight into our craft, and your writing wisdom also has 'pass-along' value
as we teach our student assistants and, in some cases, our classes."
– Tom Lamonica, Illinois State University
"Just a note to say thanks so
much for all your efforts at reviewing Habitat World! I really enjoyed
listening to your tape – and yes, I did listen alllll the way through
to the end. I was never bored! So much good information, so much for us
to think about. I really can't wait to start implementing some of these
things asap. … I loved your comments about design and legibility – I
can't tell you the battles I've fought around here about that. Finally,
maybe they'll listen. You know, the consultant from out of town always
– Milana McClead, Habitat for Humanity
"Thanks for participating in
the PICA 2000 workshop last week in Kansas City. You did a great job for
us, and your passion for your craft came through beautifully."
– Bob Palmer, Armed Forces Insurance
"Thank you very much for the
well-presented, interesting, exceedingly useful grammar and writing sessions
at the Folio Show. I came back with lots of good ideas and rules to give
to our editors."
– Sue Bryant, Proofreader, Sky & Telescope magazine
"I sat in on two of your sessions
at the Folio Show, and I must tell you that I'm so pleased I did. You were
excellent, and your knowledge of writing and grammar is commendable. I
enjoyed them so much that I wanted to tell you. I also found your handouts
very useful. I would like to know if you have any other 'Ranly's Rules'
gems and if they can be made available to people other than your students."
– Tammy McCausland
"Another home-run presentation! I never tire of hearing
you speak, and I always learn something new. Thank you making time to present
to our group. It was an honor and a privilege to have you present. I have
heard many speakers throughout my professional career, and you are one of
best, if not number one!"
– Barbara Payne, Director of Public Relations, Columbia College
"On behalf of the Fraternal
and Communications Sections of the National Fraternal Congress, I want
to thank you for your presentation to our midyear meeting. Your presentation
received the highest rankings in our evaluation with many begging for a
– Barbara A. Cheaney, Vice President, Communications, Catholic Life Insurance
"Just wanted to say a quick
thank you for reviewing our News@Work and making such constructive suggestions.
We have incorporated many of those changes in this latest edition. … It
was wonderful to re-learn so much of what I had forgotten over the years
in your workshop! I know our readers will be pleased, too."
– Sally O'Connor, Editor, News@Work
"Thanks, thanks, and ... thanks
once again for a superb experience. I didn't see one evaluation that didn't
have ‘excellent’ marked. ... I received many wonderful comments
about your sessions."
– Anne Davison, Manger of Communications, Xplor International
"Thank you very much for making
the trip to Austin this week. We have received only positive feedback about
your presentation. I am excited about implementing Ranly's Rules and look
forward to receiving ‘bright, tight’ copy from our contributing
– Janet Hunter, Editorial Director, Farm Credit Bank of Texas
"Thanks so much for your very
informative (and entertaining) presentation yesterday. I have heard so
many good things about your teaching, and now I understand why."
– Mary Jo Banken, News Services, University of Missouri
"What a treat for your audience
to see you present at the Big XII Development Conference. Your presentation
was outstanding. Every person left the room saying their entire staff would
have benefited from your remarks. We tried to tell them you are the BEST!"
– Linda Sowers, University of Missouri
"Thank you for participating as a speaker at the recent Xplor Leadership Conference in Manhattan Beach. The comments from the sessions were:
- 'interesting speaker – made the hour disappear'"
- 'great content, very relevant'"
- 'fantastic presenter, he needs more than one hour when ' "
- 'you have him back next year – you are having him back next year, right?'"
- 'great, need more like his session, please'"
- 'very enjoyable, fast-moving presentation'"
- 'I would LOVE to take a semester of his class, thank you!'"
- 'fantastic, more!'"
- 'outstanding, great info to use right away; exciting, funny & motivating'"
- 'well presented – informative and entertaining; great presenter!'"
- 'very light and entertaining, able to keep your attention, his ideas may not always agree with mine, but he's articulate and fun to listen to'"
- 'great communicator and teacher'"
- 'more time would be great!'"
- 'helpful even for people who don't write articles but are involved in organizational communication'"
- 'never a truer word was spoken, please come back and talk
with us again'"
- 'very good!'"
– Barbara Oswald, Administrator, Member Services, Xplor International
"Your presentations were great – and well-received.
Hard to believe we went five years without having you at a convention."
– John Heisler, Sports Information Director, University of Notre Dame
"I wanted to take this quick chance to let you
know how wonderful your two talks were. I was in awe of the zeal and excitement
with which you speak … you truly love what you do, and
that is refreshing."
– Lisa M. Cascio, Assistant Director of Sports Information, Old Dominion
"One of my teammates was in your seminar this
past week at City Place in Dallas and came back completely energized. I
hope you know that you have a real following here at The Associates and
have had such a wonderful influence on the way we view our communications."
– Anne Young, The Associates
"I think our audience especially appreciated
your entertaining presentation style, the perspective you related about
the role of publications inside corporations, and your great array of wisdom
and advice built around the theme of 'refrigerator journalism.' The critique
at the end was also very insightful and helpful. All in all, I thought
it was a very professional, polished job. When I grow up and become a college
professor sometime, I want to be just like you!"
– John Gerstner, Manager, International Communications, Deere & Company
"I can't tell you how much we enjoyed the seminar.
I'm still getting e-mails from our editors, pointing out new things they've
tried in their newsletters at your suggestion. And, I have to admit, they've
been writing more and paying more attention to the finer points of grammar."
– Marjorie O'Leary, Communication Programs Specialist, OSRAM Sylvania
"Loved your presentation on refrigerator journalism!
I'm so glad there are journalism professors out there who are embracing
the emerging technology changing the way news is delivered."
– Kimberly Jordan, Editor, Mealey Publications
"I can't tell you enough how much everyone enjoyed
your presentation. In fact, I've had some inquire about having you speak
at other conferences. You may have a whole new list of potential clients!
Again, thank you for your time and presentation. I'd love to repay the
– Wendy Knorr
"Don, I know SPJ wasn't your usual type of program,
and I really appreciate your willingness to participate. Your program received
comments like, 'way to kick off the workshop,' 'bring him back,' and 'it
re-energized my creative juices.' I'm glad things worked out so you could
– Julie Grimes, SPJ Director of Education and Programming
"Thanks again for conducting a great seminar.
We've received very positive feedback from the attendees."
– Bob Jordan, Quorom
"The time spent on writing with Don Ranly was
one of the most exciting experiences of my life – in no small part
because of his wonderful passion for the printed word."
– Lucinda Smith, Assistant Managing Editor, Boston Globe
"Your Advanced Writing Seminar was superb. As
I start my first day on the job equipped with new-found knowledge, I feel
like a person with new glasses. A person who didn't know she needed glasses. …Thank
you for a splendid three days."
– Jan Coppersmith, Project Director, Pacific Bell, San Francisco, CA
"You were terrific! You set just the right tone
for the start of the conference. During the next few days, we heard the
expression, 'As Don Ranly pointed out …,' more than a few times from
more than a few people. They got your message – and I think that's
about the nicest compliment anyone can receive – when people take
your message and make it their own."
– Jane Shannon, Vice-President, Citibank, New York, NY
"I want to compliment you again on the outstanding
job you did for the PRSA writing seminar. The sessions served to sharpen
my attention to detail and to underscore the importance of benefit, customer-oriented
– Suzette Heiman, Director Client Service, St. Mary's Health Center, Jefferson City, MO
"Your day-long presentation was, in a word,
– James H. Mayes, Director of Publications, Amoco Corporation, Chicago, IL
"Asking you to speak at the Annual Assembly
was certainly the smartest thing I've done lately. I have heard nothing
but rave reviews about your session, and I'm sure the standing-room-only
crowd and the reception you received left no doubt in your mind as to your
– Virginia Carter Smith, Vice President, Council for Advancement and Support of Education, Washington, DC
"Your session at the Executive Marketing Institute
on writing effective copy was an inspiration! I wish your session could
have lasted longer. You gave me so many useful tips. I've been sleeping
on my notes hoping osmosis starts working! Thanks again for a great session."
– Victoria M. Popp, Marketing Manager, Catholic Federal Credit Union, Saginaw, MI
"I saw the conference evaluation forms, and
your presentation won top ratings from all of the respondents. You have
a wonderful way of delivering insightful and useful information about writing – and
delivering it with such charisma and caring that your participants are
ready to go back and apply it to their jobs."
– Kathy Fogle Huffman, Conference Publicity Director, IABC/ Florida Suncoast Chapter
"You were terrific as always. ... Your sessions
both received wonderful evaluations. ... I've said it before, and I'll
say it again – you're the absolute best there is!"
– Gail Cookse, Vice President, Manager of Public Relations, Texas American Bank, Fort Worth, TX.
"Thanks ever so much for your truly outstanding
presentation to the American Jewish Press Association Editorial workshop
– Robert A. Cohn, President, American Jewish Press Association
"We had fun too. You stimulated our thoughts, our creativity, our fraternity. Many commented on how good it was to get together with people from different agencies in a seminar like yours; that doesn't happen very often, and I think people were surprised at how much they enjoyed it."
"You did a lot to draw that out. You have a
superb way of presenting your
material with enthusiasm and energy. You made us love English again, and that's
a love that needs to be stirred and kindled from time to time. Thanks for sharing
your passion as well as your knowledge. You do your stuff well."
– Edith Bajema, Christian Reformed Home Missions, Grand Rapids, MI
"Your seminar was absolutely delightful. I can
recall no two days of college during which I learned more. Better still,
you are positively inspiring! ... Thanks, Don, for such an informative
two-day sabbatical. Your enthusiasm and pride are infectious. I've caught
– John D. Phillips III, Consultant, Continental Public Relations, Toronto, Canada
"Congratulations on receiving the highest ratings
of all our conference speakers!"
– Joanne Milberger, Director of Education, International Association of Business Communicators, San Francisco, CA
"Seventeen of the 24 registrants submitted evaluations
for your program. On a scale of one to eight, with one being low and eight
being high, you received an average response of 7.77! This is the highest
rating a speaker has ever received on one of our programs, and I congratulate
you heartily! Please read through the detailed
comments; you certainly deserve all that praise!"
– Barbara D. Roos, Conference Program Developer, National Rural Electric Cooperative Association, Washington, DC
"Thanks Don … for a stimulating and instructive
day. It's a rare treat to be involved with a person who really knows his
– William L. Gorman, President and CEO, Gorman Publishing Company, Chicago, IL
"Your presentation today for the Women's Network was splendid!"
"The 'so-what' value of your remarks was highly
positive as was shown by the response from your audience. I am so pleased
I was a part of that audience!"
– Joan Foster Menser, The Women's Network, Columbia, MO
"I thought your Service Journalism presentation
on Nov. 20 at the SNAP conference in Chicago was outstanding! You had the
best session at the event."
– Anthony E. Snyder, Fraternal and Communications Coordinator, National Fraternal Congress of America
"A month after your visit to our IABC Chapter
I am still getting incredibly positive feedback about your seminar. It
was, indeed, outstanding. Thank you so much for coming."
– Lisa Block, President, IABC, Arkansas Chapter
"On behalf of the entire CRMA group, I want
to thank you for your outstanding presentation this past weekend in Kansas
City. It was truly quite enjoyable and very enlightening. We heard from
several folks after the presentation on how valuable they thought your
– C. James Dowden, Executive Director, City & Regional Magazine Association, Los Angeles, CA
"I just wanted to drop you a quick note and
say thanks for a job well done. You were the star of the show and it was
an absolute pleasure to spend time with you this weekend. Overall, I think
the OPRA Summit program was excellent and you were a big part of the success."
– Chuck Menke, United States Olympic Committee, Media & Public Affairs
"Thanks to you for giving me personally an extraordinary
experience outside my usual nose-to-the-grindstone type of day. For me,
the seminar was so energizing and reminded me of what I liked to do and
was good at before I started being a drudge. I'm going to try to get back
to more of that writing stuff."
– Patricia Housh, Pat Housh & Associates
"I can't pay you a higher compliment than to
say that your visit has prompted us to view the way we communicate. What
a feat! I hope we can do it again sometime. If we ever get the publication
off the ground, we'll be calling!"
– Angie McCoy, Internal Communications, Kimberly Clark
"Just wanted to say that it was a pleasure attending
the seminars you recently conducted during the Magazine Association of
Georgia (MAG) conference in Atlanta. As an up-and-coming conference speaker,
I am always amazed at how you captivate and entertain an audience of your
– Michael J. Pallerino, Editor, Swimming Pool/Spa Age
"Thank you for speaking at our 57th Annual Conference
and Exhibit in Lake Buena Vista, Florida. Your contribution to the success
of this year's conference is greatly appreciated. You will be interested
in knowing that your session received an excellent rating of 3.6 on a 4.0
– Patrick B. Stinson, Executive Director, National Employee Services and Recreation Association
"I really enjoyed your presentation at the CASE
editors' forum in St. Louis last week. It was filled with all sorts of
helpful information and ideas. Thanks for sharing your thoughts."
– Jeff McClellan, Editor, Brigham Young Magazine
"I attended your pre-conference session at the
Ragan conference in Chicago and was greatly impressed. I came away with
numerous ideas on how to enliven my publication."
– James N. Lynn, Manager, Print Communications, McCormick & Company, Inc.
"It may surprise you that the Detroit chapter
of IABC would have you visit three years in a row, but it's no surprise
to me. When it comes to teaching writing, you're still the best."
– Jim Bright, Corporate Communications Program, Ford Motor Company
"Quick note to say how much we all enjoyed your presentations.
I prepared evaluation forms as a follow-up and they were all extremely
– Bernie Rotundo, Opus Communications
"Thanks so much for presenting at our IMCA one
day seminar in Schaumburg last month. The feedback surveys we distributed
after the meeting have been reviewed, and we received very enthusiastic
comments. Your workshop received very high marks, and was one of the reasons
for the seminar's overall success!"
– Janet L. Moore, President, Insurance Marketing Communications Association
"I wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed
your presentation in Springfield on October 31. Forgive me for not filling
out the questionnaire, but as you know, the letter of appreciation says
so much more than check-the-box surveys. If it helps your data compilation,
put me down for 5's in all categories."
– Dave Wilkie, KYTV Production
"Thank you for coming to the CoSIDA Convention
in Portland. Your presentations
– I'm including your session in Nashville in 1986 – are
lively, entertaining, and very (damn) valuable. They've been the best workshops
I've attended at a CoSIDA Convention. I hope you'll join us in Kansas City next
– Ken Ries, Colonial Athletic Association
"Be assured that your talk established just
the right tone for the conference. Its reception was excellent, according
to our evaluation sheets."
– Gilbert H. Martin, Director of Communications, American Academy of Dermatology
"You certainly were a big hit with all the BH&G kids! The department
heads are all clamoring to get you back for sessions with their editors."
– David Jordan, Better Homes and Gardens
"Thanks a million for the fantastic seminar.
I shared your notes with my staff with great expectations. Hope you'll
be in Nashville again sometime."
– Dave Sun, American Society of Veterinary Medical Association Executives